3 Home Maintenance Tips For Cincinnati Summers
In summer, your biggest concern should be about how many guests are coming to your barbecue, and not how to fix a rotted deck or a busted appliance. Preventing problems before they happen is the key to summer home maintenance in Cincinnati. When you inspect and fix little issues, you can guard against larger, more expensive projects in the future. Here’s 3 home maintenance tips for summer that help you stay on top of your home’s maintenance before big problems happen.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is one of the best times in Cincinnati to increase your home’s energy efficiency in order to keep the heat out and lower your energy bills. Start by checking your doors and windows for leaks that let air through. Add weatherstripping to doors or replace broken weatherstripping if you feel air coming through. Inspect your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace it as needed.
Putting up energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters is another way to lower your energy bill - and perhaps even get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters reduce the transfer of air through your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds.
2. Spruce Up Your Patios And Decks
If you’re planning on entertaining on your patio or porch during the summer, check that it’s prepared for all your guests. First, check your patio or deck for safety. Look underneath to see if there are any supports, boards, or stairs that need replacing because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Then stain or seal your deck and patio to make it look like new again and protect it from the relentless summer sun and rain.
Once you’ve replaced any broken boards and areas and sealed your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. Add interest to the windows and doors next to your patio and porch by adding window treatments such as plantation shutters for your sliding door or french doors or sidelight shutters. Then bring in new patio furniture or perhaps even a fire pit. Finally, landscape around your patio or porch to make it more colorful.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that break down can put a damper on your fun summer plans. Here’s a list of things to do to maintain your major appliances and keep them humming along:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can increase your utility bill by making your fridge work harder. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Begin by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out and unclog the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any leaks or backed up water. Then deep clean and deodorize it by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. You’ll also want to empty and clean the filter (located underneath the spray arms in most models) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Check your washing machine hoses for any leaks, cracks, or bulges. If needed, replace the hoses. Once a year, you should clean your dryer hose and exterior vent or have a professional do the job.
Have A Fun Summer
By preventing large problems with your home and appliances, you can have a relaxing summer. If you’re interested in giving your house a fresh look this year with window treatments for your patios, living rooms, or kitchen, browse through our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 513-216-9740. We’ll show you samples of all your window treatment options in Cincinnati and do all the measuring and installation so you can just relax and enjoy your summer.